For my second faceup of 2023, I completed a modded SWS DDH-07 head. I’d original started modding this head last fall, to test out UV-cure resin additive mods, but didn’t get a chance to finish until the weather improved this month.
The DDH-07 sculpt was never one of my favorites, but somehow I’ve ended up painting a bunch of them! As with my previous custom project, the modded DDH-27 I just posted, I wanted to test out additive mods using some untested materials. Since I’d had this DDH-07 head sitting in my stash for a long time it’d started to yellow a bit, and thus made a good candidate for experimenting. In addition to adding heavier upper eyelids, I reshaped the mouth and nose a bit. Although it’s hard to see in most photos, she has some simple teeth as a mouthpart that fits into the slightly opened mouth.
The hearts added to her cheeks were a spur-of-the-moment decision – as I was applying blush, a couple rough spots showed up. Not sure if it was sealant splatter or just an area I failed to sand properly after modding, but painting over those spots with hearts solved the issue. She also has a few more scratches around the jaw and chin- I really botched the sanding on this one – but fortunately they’re not visible in photos or natural light. The additive eye mods went on smoothly – guess I did sand that part well, at least – and flawlessly blended with the vinyl even before blush and paint were applied.
A daring darling – the lovely Queen of Hearts – thanks for submitting yourself to my uncouth experiments. From this day forth, may your mods stand the test of time and prove a viable solution for future faceups!