Well, it’s that time of year again- time to fatten your secret stash of chocolates and desperately seek a last-minute costume. You can get a head start by using this simple no-sew pattern for a Dollfie Dream size witch’s hat. Get it- head start? Hat?
… uh, anyway. The instructions are simple, you’ll just need a few supplies.
- 2 felt squares or one large piece of felt (about 1/2 yd)
- Sharp scissors
- Fabric glue
- Ribbons and decorations (optional)
1. Using the pattern above, cut out felt pieces. Make sure you fold the felt along the lines indicated on the pattern. It helps to pin the pattern pieces in place and cut around them.
2. Take the pointy piece and roll it into a cone, overlapping the edges a bit. Dab some fabric glue inside the overlap. Pin the seam together, or use a clip to hold in place for at least 1 hour.
3. Insert the cone into the round hat brim through the center hole. There should be about 1cm of cone that’s too wide to pass through the center. Make cuts around this extra edge, about every 2cm, fold down flat to the brim and glue in place. To help the glue set right, place the hat on a smooth flat surface and put something a bit heavy around the center to press the felt in place. Allow several hours for glue to dry.
4. Add any Halloween-y decorations that you like, and you’re done!